In a world of likes and dislikes



Every one of us has at least one friend who puts these long stories as status right? At least one in our contact whose status we mute. It was not a long time that WhatsApp introduced stories in its platform. Everyone, including me, was quite annoyed by the story thing. However, after a few days, we got adapted to it and couldn't lose a day without putting stories. 


Stories became a part of our social media life. We put a status on our friend's birthday or showing some stuff we are doing or any other things that are happening in our life. But, yes sometimes it's annoying that people are trying to express things in a spammy way and with social media we often forget to keep a limit to share what's happening in our private life.

But, what I'm here to talk about is, likes and dislikes. 

Social media is flooded with opinions. I think people are on social media, basically to express their likes and dislikes, on opinions that matter to them. That might have been one reason why social media are embedded with like and dislike buttons.

Social media is a world of likes and dislikes.

Imagine a situation where we will not be able to express anything of someone's updates or posts. It is really gonna make us frustrated right?

Recently, many social platforms like Facebook has added some additional features like emojis to express our feelings more precisely. Emojis have been always there. Way before social media became popular. Remember the text messages? We used to share jokes and wishes by text messages, ain't we? It was kind of nostalgic for me and probably all the 90's kids.

But, during those times our emotions were much subtle and at peace. Unlike now, people are rapidly sharing content across social media. It's not just a one to one communication anymore. You share something on your Facebook wall and a million of people is there to judge it and share their opinions. 

This is what makes social media a platform for expression, self-expression mostly. This, in turn, made people lose their self-respect. People are too much worried about others opinions and how they are portrayed in society. 
The irony is that we share posts about living a life without caring what others think for which we crave likes and shares
This is what social media has become. A place where everyone is judged. And somewhere in this mess, we are still trying to love ourselves.

One of the byproducts of social media is, the virtual (or fake) life we have. People pretend to be someone else in it. I'm not saying it is totally fake. Sometimes social media can be a place where you can find some part of your lost self, a real friend, the forgotten dreams or a place to nurture your passion for something. But, I think for people, it is easy being ignorant. They are amused by fake- happiness and instant gratification. Once you are in that virtual life, you cannot pull back easily.

I have seen social media influencers, who came up by doing something they like or 'original content' shall I say. But, once they get enough fame, they are forced to prioritise the audience's likes than theirs and lose their originality.  It's an inescapable thing I guess.


In the world of social media, everyone needs to have an identity. Whether it is fake or real, doesn't matter. Everyone is on the run to show themselves off. Every story,  is a projection of their likes and dislikes. Some people like each other's stories, some don't and some mute.

Out of social media life, I think the real world is also working on likes and dislikes. But, I was wondering, what if, everyone,  I mean everyone in the whole world, started to show their likes and dislikes?

We are attracted to someone because we like them. We hate someone because we think we might have nothing in common. We keep things that we like. We discard the ones that don't matter to us. But in the end, we become aware of that,  many of the people around us are quite different than us. People have weird likes, they are unique. It is a strange feeling that we slowly consume.

The one thing that is different in the real world is that sometimes in the real world we embrace our dislikes and sometimes likes and dislikes doesn't matter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quicksilver theme song in X-men

  Have you been searching for that Quicksilver theme song from the X-men movie? Here it is.  There are actually 13 songs in the movie.  Here's a Spotify playlist link to those, made by littleme223  Two famous songs which gave a kickass intro of Quicksilver was "Time in a bottle" and "Sweet dreams" We loved this slo-mo scene so much right? And every other quicksilver scenes in the movie.  The song was made by Jim Corce and was released in 1973, the same year to which Kitty Pryde sent back Wolverine’s consciousness to undo Mystique’s assassination of Trask in X-Men: Days of Future Past. Listen to this song  in Spotify Time in a Bottle Lyrics Jim Croce If I could save time in a bottle The first thing that I'd like to do Is to save every day 'Til eternity passes away Just to spend them with you If I could make days last forever If words could make wishes come true I'd save every day like a treasure and then Again, I would

Are birthdays overrated?

Birthday is a day when you celebrate a year around the sun, your anniversary, or a day where your family and friends come around to celebrate your birth. Birthday traditions are different around the world and have evolved in time. But have you ever wondered how did the tradition of birthdays begin?  🤔 Birthdays were not celebrated until the calendars were created. It is assumed that Egyptians were the first ones to celebrate birthdays and the Romans to celebrate the birthday of a common man. It is believed that birthdays were started as a form of protection from evil spirits and the candles symbolised win over the dark evil👿 And birthday cakes never came into play as it is today, until the late 18th century. Happy Birthday Friends GIF from Happybirthday GIFs However, birthday celebrations are not for everyone . According to students from different countries, people don't always celebrate birthdays. "I lived in a small village in the South of China,"

The Social Dilemma: A Marketer's Perspective

  Those who do not understand technology become slave to it So, I guess you must be reading this post on your smartphone or computer and you might be probably from India and you got the referral to this post through social media (probably Instagram or Facebook). Am I right? I can confidently say that 98% of what I said will be true. I am not just guessing. Let me show you some data. via Google Analytics Haha. I just wanted to show how this works. Okay. I might be writing this blog with some amount of guilt. So, the thing is, I am planning to dissect the buzzing documentary released on Netflix, directed by Jeff Orlowski, "The Social Dilemma", through the perspective of a marketer. I hope by doing that I can put some sense of awareness into you. Firstly, I'd like to introduce you to my day job so that I can assure you about the authenticity of the t

First Post: But a bit of warning before reading

So here I am, trying to channel my thoughts into words. I'm not sure of how far I can get successful. I'm a lazy writer and I'm not going to do it for the likes and comments (or I'm just too lazy to ask for likes and comments). Anyhow, I just want to scribe. Well, you might be wondering, why I am giving you the warning. Firstly, it's because I'm inviting you to my thoughts and it contains my opinions. Check out the Blog Disclaimer  for more details lol. Also, it's my first attempt in writing a full-length blog. I'm not that much confident about the things that I might write here. Its because sometimes they are personal thoughts or it might be random thoughts that come into my mind or a well-crafted thought that is polished by facts. I'm not writing for the audience and I don't know who might that be or what their interest is. Anyhow, I'm not gonna write according to your taste but I will be giving you a taste of myself if you know wha

Our lost love for science

We love the Avenger movies, we love Star Wars, we rant over the outlandish concepts of Inception or Back to the Future 😍. But how much do we love the Pythagoras theorem, General Relativity or the 2nd law of thermodynamics or how much we praise Newton, Tesla over Christopher Nolan or Steven Spielberg? I have been churning over these doubts for a while when it hit me hard. When we are stupidly in love with fiction, we were repelled by the pure science underneath it. We dream about travelling through space when we have a chance to actually be in a space ship. Science in movies YEY👍, Science in class NEY ! 👎 Where are we wrong? Why weren't we taught to love maths and science? It gets me when I find myself enjoying all those sci-fi movies but not the actual science, that'd be physics, chemistry and maths. I have always been a mediocre student. I have always thought, the creative side of my brain was more functioning than the logical side and I will not ever be good

30 Days Writing Challenge: Day 1 Describe about yourself

Describe about yourself Hi, I’m Vishnu. I am from Kochi, Kerala, a state in India. I am currently working at an IT company, I like dancing, drawing, bleh bleh bleh...Ok wait, this is easy- might work if you are attending an interview. But, I don’t think explaining yourself is an easy thing to do. What are we thinking when we are asked to explain ourselves. Why do we stutter or go blank when we are asked that question? Isn’t that question the one we ask ourselves more often? I don’t know about you but I do. I’m a very introspective person and trust me it’s a curse! I often dwell on these philosophical thoughts. Who am I? What is my purpose? Kittisaurus Momo GIF from Kittisaurus GIFs It is a pretty hard question. I am not sure if I’ll ever get a satisfying answer. It feels like it gets more complicated when I look into that...& when I look into it more internally things get entwined and confused. But, I will not stop my search for an answer. I really want to find who I am and

Sushanth Singh Rajput and the under-rated "Nerd" culture in our society

Lately, the internet has seen a lot of mourning over the death of the Bollywood actor Sushanth Singh Rajput . It was quite shocking that he took his life at such a young age. The reports said he was suffering from mental illness and some other controversies were put up with his death. I, just like any other, wondered how such a successful, as well as an intelligent person, will come into this miserable situation. I just wanted to know more of him as a person. I came to know he was an engineering student and then dropped out of college to pursue his passion for acting. Then I happened to see his social accounts where I was able to see these amazing things. He was not only a great actor but a very intellectual person. He was so passionate about science as he was about acting. Out of his passion for science, he bought land on the moon(I think no one in the entire Bollywood has done that). He also bought this huge telescope to look upon stars(for which many mocked him). Moreover, Sushant&#

What is wrong with our 'Ammavans & Ammayees'?

Aunty Ji  by Shivangi Sah Its a marriage function. Random people here and there and this one guy with his wife approaches me and asks "Njnagaleyokke ormayundo mone?"(Do you remember us, son?). I nod vaguely, thinking who the duck is he? I know, we have all been there. That is why we happen to dodge family functions right? Desi Aunty GIF from Desi GIFs The "ammavan-ammayee"(Uncle and Aunty)  memes have been wildly popular among teenagers nowadays because most of us could relate to them. We all had that one ammavan and ammayee in some part of our life and we continue to encounter them. The questions vary according to situations. "Exam engane unday mone?" (How were your exams, son?) to some highschool kid "Joli onnum aayille mone?" (Didn't you got employed, son?) to some guy who got out of college "Kalyanam onnum aayille mole?" (When are you getting married, girl?) to some girl who is nearly 21 "Vishesham onnum